Rising costs and increased instability in the health care marketplace has prompted more employers of all types and sizes to consider self-insurance as a solution to provide quality health benefits to their workers and dependents.
This solution can offer many advantages but like any significant business decision it should be given due consideration, including appropriate consultations with knowledgeable business advisors as self-insurance may or may not be the best fit for your organizations. This section of the SIEF website is designed to help familiarize employers on what they need to know to effectively evaluate the self-insurance option.
Specific topics include:
- How self-insurance serves employers’ purpose to maintain healthcare benefit plans for their employees and dependents.
- Who self-insures?
- How to determine if your organization is a good candidate for self-insurance.
- Specific advantages of self-insurance.
- Specific disadvantages of self-insurance.
- How self-insured group health plans are regulated.
- What you need to know about being a plan fiduciary.
- Knowing what a model self-insured group health plan looks like.
- Hear real stories from actual self-insured group health plan sponsors.
- The role key business partners play in helping organizations in establishing and operating self-insured group health plans.
- Employee communication strategies to maximize the success of self-insured group health plans.
- Glossary of self-insurance terms.
- Getting started on setting up a self-insured group health plan.